Included in the Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) category are Yeast Infections, Bacterial Vaginosis & Bladder Infections. All of which can occur at any age in life and without any sexual activity. So, let’s drop the stigma, its simply a pH imbalance. STIs happen to almost everyone. Not all STIs come from having multiple partners or unprotected sex. From a single occurrence to chronic, they are often embarrassing, painful and frequently not openly discussed.
Yeast Infections are common. Because yeast also referred to as Candida live naturally on your skin and in all parts of your digestive system, starting with your mouth. Its only when out of balance it becomes a problem. Candida thrives in a moist warm environment and is called an infection when it has overpowered your natural flora. Candida its not limited to humans, your pets also have Candida and can get yeast infections as well.
Vaginal Yeast Infection Symptoms
Vaginal Yeast Infections are called Candidiasis or candidal vaginitis. Most infections are mild in nature but without treatment can develop into more severe infections. Typical symptoms include:
- Vaginal itching or soreness
- Pain during sex
- Discomfort or pain when urinating
- Vaginal discharge that resembles cottage cheese
- Yeast Infections do not have a “fishy” odor
- Being a woman (not even kidding)
- Hormonal changes (including after menopause)
- Weakened immune system (due to HIV, medications such as steroids or chemotherapy)
- High-sugar diet (controversial)
- Oral sex
- Dehydration- not enough hydration to keep your vaginal at optimal wetness to self clean
- Allergy medications- can dry out your vagina causing thicker discharge as well
- Improper sexual hygiene (will discuss in more depth)
- Tight fitting undergarments that don’t breathe (polyester underwear/leggings/bathing suits)
Vaginal Yeast Infections, most often from excessive Candida albicans, are usually treated with an anti-fungal medicine. These treatments include oral doses of fluconazole or medicine applied inside the vagina, Common brands being Canesten®️(Clotrimazole) & MONISTAT®️(Miconazole Nitrate) which come in oval suppository or cream form. As with any infection it is always advisable to seek medical advice to test the exact type of infection. Especially if it’s a first time issue.
The following discussions are based on a mix of traditional medical treatments, folk wisdom passed woman-to-woman, and other alternative treatments that have proven effective. No single treatment works for everybody, we are all uniquely made with individual responses to any treatment. The information discussed below may be of more interest to those who are chronic or get Yeast Infections more than once a year.
- Lets start with oral & sexual hygiene. If you are someone with a sensitive system this alone can be a game changer. Brush your teeth and use mouthwash prior to sex, especially oral sex. This goes for your partner too. Think about it. Any sugary drink, juice, pop, alcohol and the “big” one beer, can wreak havoc if it ends up inside of you .
- Wash your hands before sex and before putting in or removing tampons
- Hydration– your vagina is a mucous membrane, the better hydrated you are the wetter and more efficient it will be at self-lubricating and cleaning.
- Go pee after sex– this activates your natural internal cleaning mechanism, it helps prevent bladder infections too.
- Douche after sex- I know very controversial… however douches account for 39 million dollars in sales in the USA alone. Caution is key here; Don’t use anything that is going to cause more problems to your natural flora. Pure water is the safest thing to use as a douche after sex. Just like our sinuses sometimes need a little help, your vagina will have an easier time staying in balance if you flush out semen & lubricants after sex. Avoid scented douches. Plain water is best.
- If you have had a hysterectomy, or even a partial hysterectomy with the cervix removed you may find douching with pure water after sex particularly beneficial, as your cervix which normally connects the uterus to the vagina is now gone. The cervix contains glands that make and release mucus, so with its removal your vagina may have a lowered mucus production.
- Take probiotics daily- and yes there are probiotics specifically formulated for women with emphasis on your vaginal health. For best results your probiotics should contain lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and lactobacillus reuteri RC-14.
- Prebiotic Suppositories– easy to use, and wonderful for maintaining your natural flora. They also help prevent BV, help keep your vagina lubricated, and enhance the overall health of your vagina. I highly recommend these for anyone the has had a hysterectomy, is suffering from chronic infections, or is dealing with hormonal fluctuations post pregnancy or during menopause. Basically I highly recommend these for all women.
- Eat yogurt with live probiotic cultures.
Alternative Treatments for Vaginal Yeast Infections
- Boric Acid Vaginal Suppositories – Boric Acid is very effective in the treatment of vaginal yeast infections. It is even effective when other anti-fungal medications aren’t working. It has been used by women for over 100 years and effectively prevents Candida fungi from growing. The suppositories take only a few minutes to completely dissolve in the vagina and in my opinion are a less messy alternative. Insert one per day at the same time each day for consistent results. Do wear a panty liner as there is usually discharge while doing treatment. You can make your own suppositories or use ready made ones. For ready made Boric Acid Suppositories follow the directions on the bottle.
- Follow any Yeast Infection treatment with a Probiotic Suppository to restore your natural flora. Also very helpful, after a period & for women suffering from vaginal dryness and vaginal thinning during/after menopause. Wow, who knew there was so much involved in keeping our vaginas healthy!
For those who love the technical details here are two in-depth Studies:
- Prebiotics and Probiotics for Vaginal Yeast Infections: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7023241/
- Study on Boric Acid for Vaginal Yeast Infections: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21774671/ Iavazzo C, Gkegkes ID, Zarkada IM, Falagas ME. Boric acid for recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis: the clinical evidence. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2011 Aug;20(8):1245-55. doi: 10.1089/jwh.2010.2708. Epub 2011 Jul 20. PMID: 21774671.
Oh the controversy! But some ladies swear by this:
- Vinegar Douches– more specifically Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) with “live Mother Culture” –if you start to feel itchy or your odor seems a bit strong after sex, an ACV douche may do the trick. Put 3 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar into a douche applicator bottle and fill the rest of the way with pure water. Attach nozzle, insert into your vagina and squeeze the bottle allowing the douche to freely flow from your body. This douche has also been used for 100s of years. It is highly controversial and usually not recommended by Doctors, however there are medical studies that support its effectiveness, as well as folk wisdom passed down woman to woman. So, you decide. There are also studies showing it effective for treating Yeast Infections, but as with any treatment, including prescribed ones, they don’t work for everyone.
Study on Vinegar and Iodine Douches for Vaginal Yeast Infections: https://rdcu.be/cMIdY Hesham, H., Mitchell, A.J., Bergerat, A. et al. Impact of vaginal douching products on vaginal Lactobacillus, Escherichia coli and epithelial immune responses. Sci Rep 11, 23069 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-02426-5
- Yogurt Douche– when you don’t have probiotic suppository’s on hand. You can try using plain organic yogurt with live cultures, (lactobacillus) one without fillers such as gelatin, as a douche. Do daily before bed and first thing in the morning for 3 days. Then once per day until symptoms subside. It also helps relieve itching. This douche can also be used periodically after sex to just give your vagina a little flora boost.
YOGURT DOUCHE RECIPE 4 Tbls Plain Organic Yogurt 1 Cup Pure Water Mix well until it looks like white water (no lumps) pour into douche applicator bottle OR before attaching douche nozzel shake with top covered till fully mixed. Attach nozzle, then situate yourself over the toilet and insert into vagina and squeeze contents in. Remove applicator and allow to flow freely into the toilet. Once finished rinse your applicator with hydrogen peroxide or dish soap, and let dry completely between uses.
- If you have had sex without a condom its advisable to treat your partner for a Yeast Infection while you are doing your treatment. This avoids giving it back and forth.
Yeast Infections – Men
Yes, Men can get Yeast Infections too! If you have sex while your natural flora is out of balance, your partner can also get a Yeast Infection on his penis. Again, this is very common, but without treatment can lead to an inflammation of the head of the penis called balanitis. If, in any doubt your partner should see a doctor.
Preventative Measures & Treatments
- Have your partner wash their penis thoroughly after sex. This alone will help prevent most infection transfer.
- Have your partner rinse their penis with Apple Cider Vinegar. If, it shows a waxy coating then they probably have candida buildup on their penis. Continue to wash penis daily with ACV for as long as you are doing treatment
- If, while you are doing your yeast infection treatment your partner develops a rash on his penis, he most likely has a Yeast Infection too. Again, keep the penis clean and dry & use an anti-fungal cream for 7 days. If symptoms persist see a doctor, as it may be a more serious infection.
As An Amazon Associate I earn from Qualifying Purchases.
Not Sure Where to Start?
Look for These Emblems Beside Our
Top 3 Recommended Products
Yeast Infection Prevention ❤️
- 🥇 Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar– make your own douche with this product
- Vaginal pH Test Strips -for Women(50 cnt). BV Bacterial Vaginosis and Yeast Infection Test Strips. Acidity, and Alkalinity. Strips in Sealed Pouches.
- Genuine Health Advanced Gut Health Womens Probiotic -Womens Daily 50 Billion CFU- with:
L. fermentum for decreasing vaginal pH
L. acidophilus for anti-microbial support against uropathogens
L. gasseri for vaginal microbiome support
Lactococcus lactis for healthy skin support
- 🥈Renew Life Womens Prodiotic Feminine Health Ultimate Care – 4-in-1 SUPPORT for DIGESTIVE, IMMUNE, URINARY AND VAGINAL HEALTH, 50 Billion Active Cultures, 60 Vegetarian capsules
- 🥉Bioactrin Yeast and Bacterial Vaginosis Probiotic -for Women Pills– CLINICALLY Tested for Bacterial Vaginosis Treatment for Women Probiotics, Vaginal Ph Balance Pills, Vaginal Supplements for Women, 28 Capsules
Yeast Infection Treatments ❤️
- Canesten®️ Internal Cream or Capsule- available in 2 strengths, 3 or 6-day treatment. All doses cure in the same amount of time. Available at your local pharmacy.
- MONISTAT Internal Ovule 1 Day Treatment -available in 3 strengths, choice of a 1, 3, or 7-day treatment. All doses will cure in the same amount of time
- 🥇 NutraBlast Boric Acid Vaginal Suppositories -600mg w/ Applicator, 30 Suppositories & 15 Applicators – Feminine Care – Made in USA
- 🥈Kushae Boric Acid Suppositories – plus Probiotics & Aloe – OB/GYN Made, All-Natural Solution for BV & Yeast Infection Support, Promotes Healthy Vaginal pH, Non-Irritating Formula
External Yeast Infection Treatments ❤️
Great for treating your outer vaginal area & your male partner while you do your treatment
- Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar -apply with a cotton puff or cloth, allow to air dry.
- Canesten@ Extra-strength External Yeast Infection Cream. Available at your local pharmacy.
- MONISTAT Instant Itch Relief Cream – helps relieve vaginal itch
- 🥇Organic Plain Yogurt. Available at most grocery stores. Apply with a cotton puff, allow to sit 15 minutes.
Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) Treatment ❤️
- 🥇 Good Clean Love BiopHresh –Homeopathic Vaginal Suppository- 10 suppositories w/ applicator, helps relieve symptoms of BV
- CanesBalance BV Treat and Prevent – 7 Day Gel Internal Treatment
- 🥈Hydrogen Peroxide Douche 3%– make your own. Available at any pharmacy. See recipe on this page.
- NutraBlast Boric Acid Vaginal Suppositories -600mg – 60 count – Feminine Care – Made in USA
- NeuEve Suppository BV Clear -NeuEve® Suppository BV Clear – for Women <45 – Clearing Feminine Odor & Discharge Rapidly – Using Regularly Stops Recurrent BV from Coming Back – Natural Cleanser/Deodorant – Refrigerate Before Use
Douches & Alternatives for pH Balance ❤️
- Bragg@ Organic Apple Cider Vinegar(ACV) – make your own douche with this product. Link above in external treatments.
- RepHresh Clean Balance Kit -2 step Clean & Condition, 3 day fresh, replaces douching Organic Plain Yogurt- make your own douche
- 🥇NutraBlast So Fresh and Clean – pH Balance Feminine Wash with Boric Acid, Supports Odor Control, Cleanses Discharge, Promotes Healthy pH (10 fl oz)
EVEN MORE FAVORITES ❤️
❤️ Good Clean Love BioNurish Ultra Moisturizing Gel -with Hyaluronic Acid, pH-Balanced & Water-Based, Long Lasting Relief from Dryness & Discomfort for Women, 2 Oz -pH Rating: 3.6 – 4.1
❤️ Good Clean Love BioNude Ultra Sensitive Lubricant -Water-Based & Hypoallergenic Lube, Safe for Sex Toys & Condoms, Sexual Wellness Gel for Men & Women, 3 Oz -pH Rating: 3.9 – 4.1
❤️ LOLA Personal Water Based Lube – for Sexual Wellness – Natural Ingredients with No Irritating Additives or Fragrance for Sensitive Skin – Lubricant for Him, Her, and Couples